Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Shelfari, omg!

As an obsessive list maker, a book lover and someone who handles at least 100-200 book titles in a work day, I honestly don't know how I made it without Shelfari.

Ok, I do know how I made it: badly and at the expense of my sanity. Starting as a library page, after all my library jobs I would come home from work with pockets and purse full of scrap paper covered in book titles. I would also come home with piles of books that stayed in their piles until they were overdue because I could not bear to let them circulate outside of my reach but I did not have the time to read them.

Then, a couple of years ago, a friend told me about Shelfari. Go, look now. Are you amazed?! I now have a way of keeping track of ALL of the book titles I want to read. I can keep track of ALL of the books I have read. I can obsess over my little list, I can see when I added them, when I read them, and make arbitrary decisions about which book to read next.

This has been life changing for me. When a book comes across my desk, be it a knitting book, a biography of some strange and interesting person, a new book by a favorite author, or just a book with a pretty cover (I would feel worse about blatantly judging a book by its cover if my friend who owns a bookstore didn't have the same weakness for superficial book beauty. But as long as I have company in this frivolous predilection, I feel fine) I just add it to Shelfari and I can let it go along its merry way. No more book hoarding, no more serial-killer-looking lists of book titles. Shelfari, you complete me.

No comments:

Post a Comment