Thursday, April 17, 2014

Happy New Habit Thursday

Source
Happy Thursday one and all!


True confession time: I can sleep through basically any alarm all the time and the snooze button is my absolute #1 best friend. I am THE WORST at getting up on time and it always starts my day off on the wrong foot. I'm rushing around, running late, scolding myself mentally for sleeping in too late. I've tried the obvious things like making sure I'm getting enough sleep but still I hit snooze. I have seriously considered getting this alarm clock but it sounds like a nightmare and not that much better of a way to wake up.

For a while now I've been slowly building a meditation practice in the morning. It's nothing fancy at all, up until this morning it's just been sitting in bed and setting an intention for the day. Usually my intentions are something like, "Take today as it comes," or "Let yourself feel joy today," or "Allow the script to change," because I have problems with over planning and getting bogged down in to-do lists. So last night I decided to expand on it to try to help with my snooze-button problem. As I lay down in bed last night I visualized myself turning off my alarm clock and getting out of bed. I pictured myself stepping onto the rug at the foot of the bed and assuming Sukhasana, setting my intention, breathing three deep breathes, then walking into the living room, turning on a jazz record and enjoying my shower without all the rushing and negative self-talk.

You guys, it worked so well.

The alarm went off and I did not want to get up. I wanted to hit snooze. But I had clearly laid out a plan for my morning and I liked the plan. SO I DID IT! I know this might be a bit of overcelebration for a 30 year old woman to get out of bed on time, but whatever, it made my morning so much better.

I highly, highly recommend visualization and morning meditation. Don't be put off by the word meditation, in my opinion you can make of it what you will. Mine probably takes 3 minutes and involved the intention setting and listening to my breath. That is all. It will probably change in the future and I may not always do it, but right now I find it very soothing. I can return to my intention, breathing, and meditative state throughout the day if my thoughts start to get frantic.

If you're looking for a more spiritual bent, or some inspirational thoughts to meditate on, allow me to recommend my friend Heather's blog. She has offered my friends and me wonderful advice and guidance and I'm so pleased she's decide to expand on that with this blog!
 
In musical news, I just discovered My Brightest Diamond and I CAN'T STOP LISTENING TO IT.

2 comments:

  1. This is wonderful! I also think that it's worth celebrating, even if it doesn't seem earth-shatteringly important. If it brings you a good day, then hell yes, let's celebrate! :) I have been trying lately to not start my day with work woes (my asshole brain likes to trick me into thinking this is "planning ahead" but it's really just fretting) - if I catch myself thinking about work while I'm in the shower or eating breakfast, I mentally do a full stop and redirect my thoughts ("yarn, yarn, yarn."). Anyway, *high five*!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Anne! It can be so hard to keep those work woes at bay, but so worth it! High five to you too! :)

    ReplyDelete